1. The rate of play will be 90 minutes for 40 moves followed by 30 minutes with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from the first move. All moves must be recorded.
2. The last edition of the FIDE Laws of Chess will be applicable.
3. The default time according to article 6.7.1 is 60 minutes. Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the default time will lose the game unless the chief arbiter decides otherwise.
4. During the game it is forbidden to carry a telephone or any other electronic device. A player carrying such a device will lose the game. It is allowed to bring a telephone or other electronic device but it must be switched off completely before the first move and shall be stored in a bag near the table or in a coat hanging over the chair. It is possible to hand in the device to one of the arbiters before the start of the round.
The players on the live boards hand over their phone or other electronic device to one of the arbiters before the start of each round.
For the players on the live boards there is a specific smoking-area. If you play on a live board and want to smoke, you may only use this supervised area. Players who do not play on a live board, are not allowed to enter this area.
5. All rounds will start at 18:30, with the exception of the second and the last round which will start at 11:30.
6. Smoking is forbidden in the building. Smoking is allowed outside.
7. It is forbidden to play blitz games or to analyse in the playing hall.
8. When you are registered as a participant, you must show up in person in the playing hall on the Saturday afternoon between 15:00 and 17:30. Failure to do so means you will be removed from the list of participants and not be paired.
It is possible to take a bye (for half a point) in round 2 or 3. A bye can be requested when registering on Saturday afternoon or in person to the chief arbiter.
9. Any player who is absent during a round without prior notice will be expelled from the tournament. Any player who wants to withdraw from the tournament should inform the chief arbiter immediately.
10. Pairings will be made according to the FIDE Swiss Rules with the SwissMaster software.
11. For the final standings and the prizes the tiebreaks are:
a. The number of points scored. If this is equal the prize money (with the exception of rating prizes) will be shared.
b. Direct encounter. This is only possible if all the tied players have met each other. The sum of points from these encounters is used.
c. Buchholz score.
d. Sonneborn-Berger score.
e. Progressive score.
f. A player shall be eligible to the rating prize for his own category only.
12. After the game both white copies of the scoresheets and the matchcard will be filled in and -by both players- signed and handed over at the arbiters’ desk. The result on the matchcard is valid.
13. All of these rules are subject to interpretation by the chief arbiter.
14. In case of dispute the Appeals Committee will give a final and binding decision.
The Committee consists of three players and two reserves, from five different federations. No member of the Committee of Appeal is entitled to take decisions in cases affecting a player of his own country.
The tournament director will be the chairman of the Committee of Appeal. He will not have a voting right however. He may call in an expert to assist him.
A protest by a player must be handed to the tournament director or his deputy within 30 minutes after the finish of the round concerned.
The Committee of Appeal shall reach its decision before noon of the day following the protest.
15. Stichting Schaak Walcheren has a privacy statement. The privacy statement is published on the website www.hztoernooi.nl ( Information / Privacystatement ).
16. To indicate the end of the game on a live-board the kings need to be placed on two of the center squares (d4, d5, e4,e5).
Both kings on light squares indicate white wins, both on dark squares indicate a black win, one king on a light square and the other on a dark for a draw.
To be sure that the game ending is detected correctly: You can lift both kings same time before placing them back in the center fields.